PDA

View Full Version : DIY: putting the engine on engine stand.

PetefromtheStreets
01-02-2014, 02:35 AM
So you've got a spare engine or are attempting to build another... It's completely necessary to put the engine on a stand and your unsure of what bolts to use and what size. Well the typical response is to use transmission bolts but what size are those exactly?

To be short they are 12x1.25x85

Break that down a little..

12mm
Thread pitch: 1.25
Length: 85mm

You can always use spare bolts if you have them. Or head to your local hardware store and pick up some bolts there.

My local store only had 80mm long bolts so I opted for those vs the 100mm length. I bought 3 of them.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/02/ha3azy3a.jpg

The last bolt I purchased was a 7/16-14x4" washers and nut
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/02/a6u3y8a3.jpg

The best places to hold your engine are in the top 2 holes and bottom 2 to allow best weight distribution.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/02/9aqynu4e.jpg

As monjarassi brought to my attention, you'll want to install the motor mount while your motor is still on the ground. No sense in struggling to lift and bolt the motor up to the stand.

3 holes are threaded and one in the back bottom is not... so this is where you'll place that bolt and nut.

Tighten them down and your ready to rock. Lift the engine up and slide into the stand.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
Cage plus radio member #1

monjarassi
01-02-2014, 04:50 PM
You might want to add that its best if you mount the braket onto the motor while its on the floor, then lift the motor and slide it in the stand. Its way easier that way too.

PetefromtheStreets
01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
You might want to add that its best if you mount the braket onto the motor while its on the floor, then lift the motor and slide it in the stand. Its way easier that way too.

Good idea. To me that's obvious but maybe not to a noob ready to hurt their back

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

monjarassi
01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Good idea. To me that's obvious but maybe not to a noob ready to hurt their back

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

i know of one on here that wanted to do it the hard way! SMH

PetefromtheStreets
01-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Oh no Lmfao who who??

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

monjarassi
01-03-2014, 10:38 PM
he'll post on here when he sees this.

@ryaano18

Spaz
01-03-2014, 11:32 PM
had a friend not use long enough bolts. Engine stayed on the stand for awhile. And then when he was working on it he was tightening down some bolts and the engine fell off the stand and stripped the first several threads

BoostedK20
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Great DIY! Repped. This is definitely very helpful to many. I spy with my admin eyes, a nice block! ;)

ryaano18
01-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Oh no Lmfao who who??

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

I dont know what monjarassi is talking about...

PetefromtheStreets
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
had a friend not use long enough bolts. Engine stayed on the stand for awhile. And then when he was working on it he was tightening down some bolts and the engine fell off the stand and stripped the first several threads
Damn. I wouldn't think about using anything short enough for that. Good way to ruin a block.

Great DIY! Repped. This is definitely very helpful to many. I spy with my admin eyes, a nice block! ;)

Your admin eyes are very good Lmao. Thanks man!

I dont know what monjarassi is talking about...

Lmao. Suuuuuuuuuure you don't. I'll keep my mouth shut for a "ryaano" harness. ;)

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

ryaano18
01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Damn. I wouldn't think about using anything short enough for that. Good way to ruin a block.

Your admin eyes are very good Lmao. Thanks man!

Lmao. Suuuuuuuuuure you don't. I'll keep my mouth shut for a "ryaano" harness. ;)

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

so blackmail is what this had to come too lol

monjarassi
01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
:jelly:

PetefromtheStreets
01-05-2014, 12:28 AM
so blackmail is what this had to come too lol

Only if it works. Lol

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
When I did mine I had to buy one bolt as I was able to use the 2 long transmission bolts, but didn't feel as though enough thread from the regular transmission bolts was going into the block because my bracket for my engine stand has pretty long slots if that makes sense. For the long bolts I just had to use a stack of washers as they otherwise would be too long.

Si Speed 317
01-05-2014, 02:32 PM
When I did mine I had to buy one bolt as I was able to use the 2 long transmission bolts, but didn't feel as though enough thread from the regular transmission bolts was going into the block because my bracket for my engine stand has pretty long slots if that makes sense. For the long bolts I just had to use a stack of washers as they otherwise would be too long.
Good call. Stripped threads are no good. Better off with long bolts and washers than short bolts and a stripped block!